Sofia has three sisters, one of them just a few months old, so her parents really have their hands full. During a hectic moment the four-year-old reached for a lighter when no one was watching, and shortly after her shirt caught fire. Despite a lightning fast reaction by the family, Sofia suffered burns in the chest area. A tragic isolated incident? Absolutely not. Burns and scalds are the second most frequent cause of accidents in infants – and almost all of them occur in the household. That Sofia’s clothing caught fire so quickly would hardly have surprised the experts at the German consumer advocacy organization Stiftung Warentest. They investigated in 2009 whether or not children's clothing offered protection against flames. The result: unfortunately not – all 44 test samples burned. For 40 of those clothing items the fire hazard was high, or even very high. Light textiles made from cotton, in particular, burnt particularly quickly. Besides open fires, there are many other dangers lurking in the kitchen, bathroom and living room – from the range, clothes iron right through to hot meals and beverages. The content of a single cup is enough to scald almost one third of the body surface of a baby or infant.
These Juzo products help Sofia:
This four-year-old girl is being looked after by the medical supply store Schad in Aalen (Germany). Four master craftsman and 22 qualified staff advise and support their customers, who come from all around the East Alb district. Sofia wears a Juzo ScarComfort Pure thorax segment that was custom-made according to her measurements. The girl particularly likes the Juzo iron-on transfers that she wears on the left and right sleeve. Butterflies flutter on the green bandage, and kittens purr on the pink one. The iron-on transfers are a great motivation for constantly wearing the bandage, and help ensure a successful outcome for the scar therapy.